rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I was given a gift today, not even sure what it is for, but

Customer Question

I was given a gift today, not even sure what it is for, but I was told it was very valuable and over 100 years old. Apparently on four of them in the world, three are known of and this is the fourth. How do I find out what it is and what it is worth? I may need to insure it! Can I take a picture of it and submit it?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
See attached, thanks
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 days ago.

Thank you. I got one photo of the overall piece and I do know what it is.

To be more accurate, I'd like to know what the marks are on the underside of the metal frame.

There should be marks there.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hopefully you can see this. It's off te bottom of the piece. It is sterling silver but I was told not to clean it because it could alter it's value?
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 days ago.

This is a Victorian circa 1885 silver plate (not sterling) pickle castor with cranberry glass jar. This was made by Poole Silver Company of Taunton, Massachusetts in shape number 176. It is not a rare piece like someone had told you, there was a pickle castor in every household back then and these were made by all of the silver companies at the time. It is safe to polish this piece.

The value is $100 to $150 retail.

To finish, please click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the green submit button.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your expertise!
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 days ago.

You are so welcome.

Good feedback for the expert is important here.

Please do click the stars for me!