Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I'm having trouble identifying a doll that was donated to

Customer Question

I'm having trouble identifying a doll that was donated to our thrift store. It have GERMANY 5 imprinted on the back. The face is shiny and arms seem to be plastic but the body is something like leather and jointed. What do you think? Thank you!
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: I can't figure out what the face is made of. Maybe some kind of coated paper mache but it's not matte, or 'bisque'. It's very shiny. The hands are very small and, I think, a hard plastic. The body is white leather-like material with joints that are connected with buttons that look more like bolts. On her back is GERMANY 5 imprinted from the inside so it sticks outward in capital letters. The 5 is a fancier print. I can't find anything like it, so I have no idea what to price it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I can't be certain but I don't believe the wig is real hair.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 15 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the doll and the marks that you have described.
Also look on the back of her neck or shoulder for any more marks.