Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an antique all metal barrel that was hand fordged.

Customer Question

I have an antique all metal barrel that was hand fordged. The lid is split in the middle and opens with a hinge and a latch. When you open the lid there is a small storage unit in the barrel with a lock. This thing has rings on it and is definitely old. I'm sure it is somewhere near 200 years old. How do I find out what it is?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

On a first look, I would not date this to the 1800s...may I ask why you believe it is 200 years old? That information may help me place it further.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just by looking at the latches and the hand forged rivets. The whole barrel is hand forged and appears to have hand forging on all fixtures and seams

I do see that, but my feeling is that it's late 19th century at the earliest, but most likely closer to the 1920s. I'll opt out and let another expert weigh in.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will wait to hear from you. The answer I was looking for is what was it used for?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.
.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
Can you upload some close ups of this bucket. Pictures of the latches, rivets etc. What size is this bucket? A close up of the lid so I can see exactly what it is made of and how it is put together?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm working on getting a camera to get you more pictures. Don't close this yet
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

Ok, no problem you just come back when you can.

Glenda