AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Want to know the value of a first edition printed in 1662

want to know the value of a first edition printed in 1662 "The Christian in Compleat Armor"by William Gurnall.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Can't tell if original cover. Looks like the cover has been re-covered. All intact, just time weathered.Dedicated to Lady Mary Vere, Baroness of Tilbury
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not that I know of

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the book, covers, title page, any hand writing, and any condition issues.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

I want to let you know that I also tried and cannot appraise this without a photo.

Jennifer

I received the photo, thanks. That is not a 17th century binding. It's entirely possible that it was re-bound, but it makes me curious.

Can you check the back of the title page you sent, and the other pages before the text begins? Is there any other publishing information anywhere else on any other pages?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only that the dedication to Lady Mary Vere, Baroness of Tilbury, was dated August. 28, 1661. The last page of the book has this: "Books printed for ***** ***** , at the Bible. In Corn-hill"

Thank you.

This has been re-bound, as a cloth binding like that was unknown before the 19th century. It's probably a 20th century binding.

Given the re-binding, the value would be approximately $250.00.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Experience: Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.