Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a fashion doll, vintage bisque shoulder head, solid

Customer Question

I have a fashion doll, vintage bisque shoulder head, solid dome, leather body, painted blue eyes, closed mouth and turned head. The only markings is a 7 on the back of the shoulder plate. I'm not certain of her maker and would like to know if you can shed light on that. Thank you.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: she's gorgeous......
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the doll and the marks that you have described.
Also look on the back of her neck or shoulder for any more marks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've attached photos as requested. Thank you.

Did you look under her hair on the back of her head/neck? That is where a maker mark would be.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i did look for additional markings, I m not unfamiliar with dolls, just can't locate the maker on this one. The only mark is the #7 on the back of the breastplate

I am unable to find a match for this doll. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.

If the doll is not marked with a makers mark, she can be valued for what she is. She appears to be French, and from the 1910-15 era. If you can tell me what size she is I can value this for you. I have many antique doll books I can look this up. I also need to know condition of doll based on 1-10, with 10 being best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is approx 16 inches tall, fair to good shape, leather body, appears to be replaced arms, beautiful mohair wig, probably original, excellent bisque head, no breaks, painted features, old if not original shoes, sewn on silk pantaloons, silk half slip, vintage material but piecemeal dress, beauty mark on cheek.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Considering her body softness I would give her an 8 rating

Hi
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.

The Antique Doll, 16", has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $500.00-700.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.