Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I'm in muscle shutdown, unable to turn my head or shoulders.

Customer Question

Good afternoon Robert, I'm in muscle shutdown, unable to turn my head or shoulders. Breathing hurts. So I decided to do something small so u don't get rusty. This vase is 14 inches high and 4 inches across. I bought this at auction (sameauction house I bought all the other things at this auction. Now last year I bought beautiful hand blown perfume bottles for my step daughter And daughter in law I pd 70 for each one, I got home and looked on bottom and a step Coker said 12.99 homegoods. I was upset I pd 140. For a product that said 12.99, so I'm cautious on this. I told thumper you thought the table was nice and he said "well tell that genius hi! It took all I had not to fall over laughing! Lol smile Robert it's a beautiful day somewhere. With this beading on top of vase could it be Nippon? Don't forget this is where I get educated. Thank you kind sir.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
A sticker said not a step Coker! Hehe
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 days ago.

I wanted to let you know that someone has seen your question. I will forward this to the expert that you
requested to let him know a question has been posted for him.
I will opt out of this, so he can address this as soon as he signs in.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you

You are welcome.

Expert:  Robert S. replied 8 days ago.

Hi Cindy,

Just tracked this question down, did not see it till just now.

Could you also very kindly re-attach the photos of the (possible) Nippon vase. Again, I don't know what's happening on the site, but photos are not showing up this end.

So sorry you have to keep attaching them twice.

Thanks for passing on the "hi" from Thumper, I feel honored to be called "genius" but certainly don't deserve it!

Look forward to talking to you tomorrow about the vase.

Have a safe night!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm gonna try.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Why does his green box above this box I'm typing in tell me " Rober referred me to a new antique expert?" No Leaving! Anyway here are new pics for vase. Good luck.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 7 days ago.

Don't worry, I'm not leaving. Ignore that message, it's automatically generated and wasn't sent by me. The site overlords deem it time for someone else to step in if I don't give you an answer within a specified (by them, not me) time. Sorry about that.

So your vase is not Nippon, though I can understand those dots and raised enamels are certainly reminiscent, but the Japanese from this era stuck to porcelain rather than glass. Yours is what used to be described as "enameled Venetian glass" until folks realized it wasn't made in Venice at all, not even close, not even in Italy, but rather in another great center of enameled glass making in Europe: Bohemia -which is now the Czech Republic.

It is very like the output of one particular Bohemian art glass maker, namely, Moser Glass, much of which is unmarked and there were few other than Moser glass craftsmen who had the skill to do that enamel decoration. In order to fuse the gold and white raised paste enamel flowers to the glass required putting the piece back into the furnace. The enameling point of the decoration was almost the same as the melting point of the glass, so re-firing could mean the catastrophic melting of the whole thing after hours of meticulous decorating.

This vase shape with its bulbous bottom and long gently flared neck, combined with the Art Nouveau style of the bramble flowers, vining boldly the full length of the piece, dates it to the early 1900s, circa 1910 - 1920s.

This is a very decorative vase and the amethyst is one of the most sought after Bohemian glass colors. I would give it an auction value in the range of $250 - $350.

So it therefore has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $700.

A magnificent piece! And a great survivor, defying the hazards of gravity and dusting for a hundred years!

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yay!!!! K now, I'm ready to put my computer up next to my desk, it's going to sit on a trunk I'd like you to looksie at. Now inside this trunk is stuff Richard has no idea I have. Hehe so I'm going to take pics of all I have in there and slowly slide em your way. Mostly stuff that I bought at the beginning of my fever! I have a Renoir in my living room but with construction I buried the file cabinet, its the paper I recvd from auction when I bought it. It's an etching really. So I'm going to request you again and shoot u the truck then I will open it. It needs to be closed by 9 pm. Haha he's a good guy, all he says is as long as your happy. I feel it disrespectful to shove his face in it. Lol
Expert:  Robert S. replied 7 days ago.

Ah! A trunk! I understand now. Your "Hope Chest". Everyone should have one of those! Can't wait to see what you're 'hiding' from Richard.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Haha I have stuff hidden everywhere. In case of my death, my daughter in law has a list of everything I have and where it's hidden. I bet your wife fed has stuff you never even knew existed! All women do it, the trick for men is to turn the other way and stay out of it! Lol just sayin.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 7 days ago.

Actually, I'm the hoarder in our marriage. My wife is endlessly understanding and indulges me like a six year old with all his toys.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
You got the 6 yr old part right. lol