Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an antique oil lamp that was converted by a

Customer Question

I have an antique oil lamp that was converted by a manufacturer from the basic oil configuration to operate electrically. It has two lamps with glass chimneys surrounded by ronnd globes. It is brass with is not currently polished. It is a family airloom but is no longer compatible with our décor and my wife hates it. How would I price it or should I just try to give it to charity and claim a tax deduction.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Would a photo be helpful and if so how would I transmit it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

Can you send a picture of this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can easily take a picture. How would I transmit it? Do you have an email address?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Do you want to give me an opinion or advice?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I am sorry I do not do live phone calls, I am unable to do those.

It is important to see this before it can be valued. I feel appraisers should be done in writing in order to make an honest correct value.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

I need to see this before it can be valued, we cannot value an item like this site unseen.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know what you're telling me. Let me know how I can transmit a picture. Can I just attach a picture to this panel. How would I do that?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I was telling you that this needs to be seen in person. Can you see an attach file button? Or a paper clip on the header of this message area, if you can see that you can attach a picture with that.

.

If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's just forget I asked a question. This has become more difficult than I anticipated. I don't think I ever got a usable response. Thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
BTW why did you ask me if I'd like to discuss this by phone if you won't do phone calls?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I am very sorry we cannot appraise this without a picture, that is simply not possible. There are thousands of lamps, there is not way to ethically or honestly appraise an item without a picture in order to see what we are appraising.

I did not ask you for a phone call. That was something you got from the Just Answer site. Appraisers are not employees of Just Answer. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post to the site. We are users of the site just like customers are, only we answer questions that customers ask.

I am sorry you thought I sent you a phone call offer, I did not do that.

If you can send me a picture of this light I can value it for you. But, without a picture there is no way it can be valued.

Glenda