Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Im wondering if there is any value in children books from

Customer Question

Im wondering if there is any value in children books from around the 1930's
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a soft paper book titles "Mother Goose Picture Book" by Mary Royt, copyright 1932 by E. M. Kovar, Racine, Wis.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There is a tear along the binding of the cover, otherwise it is in very good condition
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
where is my answer please?
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am sorry you have had to wait.

Please know a professional will be working on your question.

Also, please know answers here are not instantaneous.

I have two customers who have been waiting since this afternoon ahead of you.

I will take your question when I finish with those two if another professional does not pick it up.
In the meantime, I will opt-out so that the other Appraisals specialists will see your question.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Thank you again for waiting. I will work on your question now.

Kind regards,

Unfortunately, I have bad news. Your book "Mother Goose Picture Book", Royt, Kovar, 1932, is now listed retail at $10. See the following image.

Value of old books depends on how rare the book is and of course, age. Your book, while 1930s, must have had many copies printed.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

I am truly sorry. I wish I better news.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

See the following image.

Kind regards,