Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am an Expert in antique firearm appraisals. I am a collector of antiques. A trained gunsmith and firearms instructor.
66248244

I have what I believe is a couple of Civil War swords. I am

I have what I believe is a couple of Civil War swords. I am wondering about the value. One has D.J. Millard and Clayville NY on one side of the blade, and US WEH 1862 on the other side.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The blade is about 34 inches long and just under 1 1/4 inch wide with a little curve to it. The handle is about 6 inches long. It has what appears to be a leather wrap around the grip, with a twisted wire around that. With a metal hand gaurd. and a scabbord.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There are letters in the end of the handle also, looks like WEH on one side and CWW? on the other.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The other one looks the same pretty much, is just a little bit longer, and weighs about twice as much. I only see writing on one side of the blade and it says, SHEBLE & FISHER and PHILAD . It also has what looks like a leather washer at the beginning of the blade where it meets the handle.

My name is Jon. I will do my best to help. Do you have any photos of your swords?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am away from home right now. I will try to figure out how to post some pictures of them on here when I get back home.

That sounds good. If you need help posting the pictures, just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still trying. Let me know if the pics do not go thru. Or if you need others. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Appraisal Package. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Let me do a little research on this for you. I will get back to you real soon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Thank You.

You have what is called a Civil War US M1840 Heavy Cavalry Saber. This Saber was made by Sheble & Fisher of Philadelphia. These sabers were used by the Union Cavalry. Your sabre is easily recognized as a M1840 sabre because of a distinct hilt with a three bar brass guard, and a leather covered wooden grip bound with roped brass wire, with a brass pommel. Your sabre also has it's original steel scabbard with two suspension rings. From what I can see in the photos, it appears to be in very nice condition with the leather all intact.

Here is a little history of the Sheble & Fisher company I was able to find:

Samuel Sheble and John Stevenson were listed as fork manufacturers, and by 1862 they were listed as a supplier for military goods in the Philadelphia business directory. John Fisher at about this time was listed as, among other things, a hardware, cutlery, and instrument maker. It is believed that Samuel Sheble and John Fisher started manufacturing at around 1859, when it was first noted that their firm 'Sheble and Fisher' were listed in the business directory. It is unclear as to how many swords Sheble and Fisher made of the M1840 & M1860 Cavalry Sabers, M1840 Artillery Saber, or NCO swords. This is primarily due to the fact that no known evidence of a wide spread government contract exist, only a small amount of M1840 Artillery Swords & 1,000 NCO swords are known to have been furnished to the government; this is further complicated by the fact that none of the swords in existence are known to have government inspector's stamps.

The retail value of your sabre on todays market would be in the $950-$1,300 range.

This is really a great piece of history that you don't see every day. Thank you for letting me take a look at it. Please remember to rate this answer using the stars. If you have any other question, just let me know.

Thank you,

Jon

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about the other one? The last six pictures are of the lighter saber, with the D.J. Millard and Clayville NY written on the blade. Other than being lighter in weight, and having the different words on them, they are almost identical.

That one is the same model only made by Millard. This one should have an military inspector marking unlike the first one. Also a very nice piece. The last one I have seen sold went for $975 and that falls in line with the value I would place on it as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where would you go to sell them?

I would try rock island auction at https://www.rockislandauction.com/