Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a print/engraving piece done by A. Lemariot that I

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a print/engraving piece done by A. Lemariot that I need appraised. Thank you, Teri
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It's been in a basement framed in glass for over 40 years and is signed by the artist.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: yes, it needs to be remounted as soon as possible due to backboard is starting to buckle a little
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me at least one photo.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

I also need size, not including the frame. Do not include the frame.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
15x22, signed by artist also

Thank you for size.

Can you send a photo?

I do not accept requests for phone calls. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send you the pop-up.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm having trouble getting your add file to put my picture in to send.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't need a phone call now, thank you. I got the photo to upload for you.

Lemariot was a turn of the century (ca 1900) artist.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Please see the following image. It shows a signed engraving by Lemariot that sold at auction for about $57. It measured 14 x 24".

Yours is about the same size; so, the auction price would also be about $57 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you Doris, very informative. What was I charged for this?

I am not sure.

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

I am only credited for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.