Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a secretary that I want to sell from the Revell & Co

Customer Question

I have a secretary that I want to sell from the Revell & Co Chicago and was wondering how do I find out about the value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It's from the Revell & Co Chicago, it was considered an antique when my husbands great grandma received it, and we have had it since jan 1996. it's all original and original glass.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: That's all we know.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me at least one photo of the front and another of the back.

Also, take one of the Revell & Co label using the macro (flower) function of your camera.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Please tell me size.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will have to get a measuring tape, and I have enclose some pictures. it's all original and original glass.

Thank you for the photos of the cabinet.

When you have time, please send size.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi. It's
21 inches deep base portion.
37 inches wide secretary portion. 77 1/2 inches tall

Alexander H Revell & Co was established in 1879 in Chicago and grew into a large furniture company until Mr Revell committed suicide in 1931.

My research indicates that your late 19thC-early 20thC secretary display cabinet would have an estimated retail value of $1600-1800 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

A method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 13 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,