Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a twelve piece teacup set including desert plates,

Customer Question

I have a twelve piece teacup set including desert plates, numbered, but cant figure out who made them.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The cup comes with and underlying plate for the cup and of course the desert plate. The design looks oriental. The rim of the cup, the handle and the bottom is inlaid in gold. The pieces don't seem to be hand painted. The art work consists of what I can tell, is perhaps ferns and prickly flowers that could be a fruit of some kind. The stamp on the bottom of tea cups have a stamp or rather perhaps it is more like it was fired into the piece. It a pears to be a royal crown, the puffy kind if you know what I mean, almost like a bakers hat. The crown is inlaid with yellow with small circles. The middle of the crown consists of what looks like three green figures, but it could also be a fern unfurling. At the base of crown is the word Import and the number 94 or 54 in gold.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I received the set from my step mother back in the 90's and I have a feeling that she had had the set for many years so, I would suspect that it is at least 20 to 30 years old.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

I am sorry you had to wait.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

I also need a photo of the pattern.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

"Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am pretty sure it is a twelve person set, but lets just say it is a ten. They would get a teacup, saucer and desert plate. I took pictures. Where should I send them?

Kind regards,
Doris