Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

I have a carved necklace that may be jade.. I was told it

Customer Question

I have a carved necklace that may be jade.. I was told it was old.. the simple clasp is silver.. where do I start?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Let's begin with photos. Please upload clear pictures of the necklace, front and back, and a clear close-up of the clasp. If there are hallmarks on the clasp, please send photos of them as well.

Also, hold the necklace up to your face and tell me about the temperature you feel when you do that.

Please see our help page for help uploading images.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Or:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".

2. Double click the image you want to upload.

3. Click "Start Upload".

4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work for you:

You can email the pictures to *****@******.***, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Judith,Pictures are attached. I didn't see a hallmark, and it's cold to the touch. I restrung one side because it was coming apart, and the other side I left in tact for identification. It's also a substantial sized necklace.Thank you.Gail

Jade should be freezing cold to the touch, but this certainly looks like jade and it certainly looks old. the only way to find out what the clasp is made of is to take it to a jeweler and have it tested. My best "guesstimate" of its age is 1900s - 1920s.

You should have the whole thing restrung, making sure that it is knotted between the beads, so you don't lose all of them if the necklace breaks.

If it is in very good condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of is approximately $1,250. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $500, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Gail.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Gail,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.