Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Singer machine model 128. It is a centenial machine

Customer Question

I have a Singer machine model 128. It is a centenial machine and has a badge saying so. But on this
Machine there is a decal I can't find on any other machines I have seen. It is the letters M.R. It is on my machine under the badge and again on the arm of the head. It runs perfectly and is in excellent condition. I would like to sell it but I have no idea of it's worth. I am hoping for a couple of hundred or more if possible. Am I wrong?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Great House Antiques replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!

Your Singer is a classic model made during the centennial era of the company, c.1951. It appears that the "M.R." refers to its specific place (factory) of manufacture in Canada where these were made during the period, likely Saint John's.

As for a valuation... Since these machines were so popular and there were so many made, many have survived. This tends to keep their prices at a moderate level overall. That said, condition becomes a crucial factor in ascribing a particular value to any one of these survivors. Since you say that your machine is in excellent physical and mechanical condition, it will be seen in the higher end of the range for such machines. At present, your fine, ever-popular, mid-20th century Singer would have an estimated fair market value in the range of $200-$250.

So, you were right on the mark with your thinking!

Again, a great piece of history that's probably as good at what it was intended for now as it was nearly 70 years ago when it was made. Thank you for writing in about it!

(Hoping it has provided assistance - if you require no further help - please rate my answer. This is an important step in that it is your way of letting me know you have been well-served [by my answer only]. Please note, though, that it does not/ cannot address any other aspects of your experience with JA; unfortunately, these are not in my control. Rating is also the way in which JA is prompted to extend credit for my service. So, your best rating is most appreciated! *Please let me know if I may be of further assistance* : )

Thank you, again.

GHA