Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

This appraisal question is for S., please, Marked Made in

Customer Question

This appraisal question is for Robert S., pleaseHi Robert,
Marked Made in Germany Elastolin is Norman soldier rider and horse, hand painted. Molded composite from mid 1960s.Also Marked Germany but I don't see another maker's mark, is a bronze cannon of Norman Conquest era all but cannon and some chain and a metal rod are made of plastic.These pieces were bought at the same time in the 1960s and used as part of a floral design in a flower show. The rider can be taken off the horse. The cannon has mechanics to shoot, but no ammunition. The cannon can be raised and lowered.Value?Thank you,
Anne B.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 22 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** letting you know I got this.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks. Approximate size cannon- 5 1/2"x2 1/2". Statue- 5 1/2" high x 5" x 2". More items to come.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 19 days ago.

Hi Anne,

Sorry for the delay in response, the cannon was a little tricky to track down.

(1) Hausser "Elastolin" Norman knight [Figure #8880]

Elastolin is the trade name of the Stuttgart company O&M Hausser -for Otto & Max Hausser whose father Christian Hausser founded the company in 1904. They first issued this range of medieval knight figures (Ritterfiguren) in this hard polystyrene plastic in 1955. Pre-World War II versions were made of a sawdust-filled composite.

This equestrian figure on a rearing charger wielding a mace is in the 1/24 scale size, known as a "70mm" scale (7cm) because the rider is approximately 7 cm or 3" tall (where the average height of a man is taken to be 168 cm, so 168/7 = 24 thus 1/24 scale).

This 1960s vintage painted knight in the 77mm scale sells on line in the range of $35 - $75. This example sold for $70.

Full retail/insurance value: $150.

(2) Hausser "Elastolin" Medieval Haufnitze (Howitzer) gun

This is also by Hausser and is model number 9800.

A replica of a 15th century siege weapon and the forerunner of the modern howitzer (between a mortar and a cannon).

This example in its original box (proving that it is indeed a Hausser/Elastolin) sold on line for $80, which is about the the top end for one of these.

So yours would have an eBay range of $50 - $85.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $170.

Hope this does the trick.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you very much. I could never have found it. You're the best! Anne B.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 19 days ago.

You are so welcome, as always! Thank YOU!