Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

We have found a picture that is Flower Song by Louis Jambor

Customer Question

We have found a picture that is Flower Song by Louis Jambor and we are wondering about the price before we put it in an estate sale.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: That is all we know. It is in a frame
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me at least one photo of the front and one of the back.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Is your piece under glass?

What is the size not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

Is it numbered?

What is the medium - oils, watercolors, etc?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Picture is under glass See no number has signature of L.Jambor in right hand corner at bottom of picture Getting ready to send pictures Measures 31.5 wide 25.5 high with frame
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 22 days ago.

Pictures always help. I look forward to receiving them.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hope that pictures came through okay
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 20 days ago.

It may be a print. Take a magnifying glass and look to see if there are any tiny, close together lines in the piece. Or, see if there are any tiny even dots in the piece.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do not see any lines or dots

It is not an oil nor is it a watercolor. It must be a print but not a lithograph or engraving.

Where did you find the name?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Painter name is ***** ***** on right hand side on front of picture. On back has the name Flower Song by Louis Jambor. If it is a print is it worth anything? We believe it has been in the family for more than 100 years.

Louis Jambor (1884-1955)
Biography from Clars Auction Gallery

"Hungarian-American painter Louis (Laj-os) Jambor was a prolific artist with a career marked by versatility in subject matter, technical exactitude, and generous humanism. Known for religious paintings, public murals and book illustrations, his work had been viewed by millions of people outside of the walls of museums. His work in portraiture, genre scenes, and still life is less well known, but equally as masterful and moving.

Born in Nagyvarad, Hungary in 1884, Jambor had artistic talents recognized early and the government provided him with a five year scholarship to attend the Royal Art Academy in Budapest. Upon graduating, he spent several years studying religious art in Italy and under Frank Gebhard in Dusseldorf, Germany. Jambor received many awards and accolades and was elected to the Royal Academy of the Society of Art before he moved to the United States in 1923.

Once in America, Jambor's career flourished. He painted dozens of murals in private homes, public buildings, and churches, including twenty-six for the Hotel New Yorker, large panels above the proscenium in the Atlantic City Municipal Auditorium, murals for St. Theresa's in Providence, Rhode Island, and in the Sister's of Mercy Chapel in Marion, Pennsylvania.

Jambor's technical aptitude and his ability to capture the essence of people led to many commissions for portraits. Some of his most famous subjects include Father Francis P Duffy of New York's 69th Regiment (for whom Duffy Square, just above Times Square in New York is named). Clarence Barbour, former president of Brown University, Lord Rothmere of London, and the canonized saint Mother Cabrini.

Generations of children have been delighted by Jambor's illustrations for the 1947 edition of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women as well as the 1949 version of her Jo's Boys. He also created fantastical backgrounds for the animated film version of Gulliver's Travels for which he received screen credit.

Jambor was an active member of various groups and societies for artists including the American Artists Professional League, Allied Artists of America and Audubon Artists. His leadership in these groups both furthered his professionalism as an artist and demonstrated his concern for fellow artists.

Jambor's religious subjects include Jesus of Nazareth most notably, but also the Lord's Supper. The Adoration and Down from Golgotha are highly reproduced and distributed by churches and other religious organizations.

Jambor's technique and execution demonstrate not only his long and diligent study of classical painting and Renaissance ideals, but also his exacting observation and caring and intimate sense of his subjects. Highly disciplined and technically talented, Jambor did genre paintings, which convincingly capture fleeting moments in time, and characters drawn together by space and experience.

Moonlight Travelers demonstrates Jambor's striking composition and use of light, as well as the dignity he imbues in all of his subjects. The travelers, weary and with all of their possessions in tow seem to be stepping into the unknown but also appear to be sheltered and guided by a larger force. The upper three quarters of the canvas is dedicated to a spectacular night sky, where the moon is hidden by clouds but ever present, its heavenly power bolstering the lamp light the travelers carry.

As opposed to the dramatic movement of Moonlight Travelers, Jambor's Cat's Cradle is a tender and intimate look at familial moment as a mother takes time away from knitting to lay with her young daughter as another looks on. Light illuminates the domestic interior, streaming through a window over a carefully placed bouquet and onto the young girl. She is innocent and full of wonder, her pink dress echoing the palette of the flowers. It is a lyrical vision of earlier times.

Jambor's expert draughtsmanship, flair for the dramatic, and sensitivity to the human condition lent itself to subjects both epic and intimate in scale. Whether painting narratives, portraits or still life his compositions carry the eye to the important details, and his unique lighting effects create an atmosphere that brings even the simplest of his subjects to a realm of grandeur."
by Rachel Goodenow

Actually your print is a color lithograph. I found one identical copy. See the following image. The size is actually the same as yours includes the frame and the copy I found does not.

It is currently for sale for $499 as a retail "Buy It Now" price.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

Some like where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 18 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,