Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

My Grand mother had a Crossley & Son carpet made in Halifax

Customer Question

My Grand mother had a John Crossley & Son carpet made in Halifax England, it was passed to my mother, now I have it for 2 years now. It's in great condition. On the back states Crossley Samarkand Axminister Seamless Square Pattern 5503/11.
Would would be the value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.

What size is this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Carpet is 9 x 12 feet. I have included a picture of the tag that is located on the back of the carpet.

Hi
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.

The John Crossley & Son carpet made in Halifax England, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $3***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** value in US or Csnadian funds

Hello

It is US funds. I did not realize you were in Canada, it is 4,748.83 CAD - 5,274.98 CAD for you in Canada.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Glenda, I really appreciate all your work and I hope the approx. value you provided is right on the mark. I will be rating your services once I contact a local Antique store/dealer for sale.

I am not sure I understand how what they might pay you effects you rating my service to you. What appraisers provide is the current market value, what something has sold for in the past 12 to 24 months. We cannot control what a dealer, antique shop or anyone else might pay for an item.

When a customer comes to the site we provide current information from Data bases we pay to access, large auction houses, that we can see their sell prices.

As I stated., I did provide you with the answer you asked, and the current market value, whether someone offers to pay you less then this or even more then this, has nothing to do with the answer I provided you, I cannot even guarantee if someone would even buy this. So in essence you would be punishing me for an item selling for less then the value or not buying it at all, if you do not rate me.

I come to the site to answer questions customers ask, we are rated by the customer before we are compensated by the site for our time. Ratings are our only means of compensation.

Glenda