rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a 12 panel Coromandel Screen and was looking to get

Customer Question

I have a 12 panel Coromandel Screen and was looking to get it appraised.. It is carved front and back
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: My mother in law purchased it in the 1940's. We were going to give it to the Chicago Museum of Art but they said it was too big. I don't have the exact dimensions, yet. It is black laquered both sides, 12 panels.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It is in near mint condition.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the screen.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Each panel is 8 feet tall; width of each panel 19 inches; total length of all 12 panels is 19.3 Feet. I have one photo taken in the 1960's attached. It is too big to turn around and get the other scene.

Such large works are eagerly sought after by collectors and decorators with palatial homes and there are probably only a few thousand of these in existence. Earlier huge 18th-19th Century screens were usually decorated on both sides with individual panels decorated with still lifes and panoramic scenes. The style was revived in the 1920-40 period when these became part of a decorating trend. This one is a circa 1920-1940 carved Chinese black lacquer 12-panel coromandel screen that depicts an interior palace scene with vignettes of animals depicted on the top section of each panel. The value of this piece is $10,000 to $12,000 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
However, I think in this case you should go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them. They would come and remove it for the auction and you would get a check from them 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15 to 20% commission.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.