rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a 17 1/2" tall Marwal Chalkware statue that is in

Customer Question

I have a 17 1/2" tall Marwal Chalkware statue that is in excellent condition. What is the value of it?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 29 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.

This is a chalkware statue made by Marwal in the 1960's.

The company was started in the 1940's and incorporated in 1962. There was no photo of the mark, so if it

has Inc. after the name, it is a 1960's piece. Most of the neoclassical designs form this company were created

in the late 60's. This piece, if it has no chips or damage, has a current value of $75.00 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are,,, Ebay and
You can also go to or and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have seen some for sale without the grapes for as much as $497.
Expert:  rarewares replied 29 days ago.

Yes, so have I. Sellers can ask whatever they want and that is not a way to value a piece.

The early busts of people are valuable and Ebay sellers have mistaken that to mean that ALL Marwal has a high price value.

If you look at the SOLD category for Marwal, you will not find these same prices. I use three SOLD paid databases for valuation of items,

so my value is an amalgam/average of these factors.

One must look at a database of what these and similar actually sell for to determine the true value.

The average selling price for the large neoclassical style centerpieces by Marwal sell in the $65 to $75.00 range.

I do hope that explains it better.

Expert:  rarewares replied 28 days ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.