AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.

My husbands family tracks back to the 1500's and I can't

Customer Question

My husbands family tracks back to the 1500's and I can't find this Chrystal anywhere. The closest I found resembled Rococo Gold Stemware.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 27 days ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Any marks anywhere, no matter how small?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It rings like Crystal, definitly gold. Very old
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
double Helix in stem. Gold paint then gold medalions adhered.

How many in the set?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Distant relative swiped six. I am looking to replace. The rest of the settings amounted to 16. I have only 3. I wanted 3 more for my display case.

Ah, I see. These are Venetian Murano glass, and most likely from the 1920s or 1930s. Unfortunately, they are irreplaceable. They are hand blown, and it would be virtually impossible to find matches as each set was relatively unique.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
After Grandma passed we realized the relative got her drunk, and came to the house with a moving van. poor lady died of dispare 3 months later. The family is from Germany. Came before Hitler. We are cousins of Ottmar Morgenthaler. The family owned a woodworking/Furnitire/ clock making factory. Ottmar was the inventory of the Morgenthaler Line-o- Type machine.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Oh darn. I have a few things the thief might want. Is there a price that I could judge a swap by?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I was thinking the Chrystal may be worth one of these Vases.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I saw one similar Vase on Christie's website for $3,000, but the Gold was worn on theirs. Mine ate perfect, no wear. been in a box for over 70 years, as far as I know.

I'd value the goblets at around $400 - $500 each. So if 13 are missing, then that's $5,200 - $6,500 for the missing items.

Unfortunately, I can't also appraise the vase in this question, because it was priced as one item. I could value it in a second question, if you have a photo of the bottom so I can see the mark.