AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

My husbands family tracks back to the 1500's and I can't

Customer Question

My husbands family tracks back to the 1500's and I can't find this Chrystal anywhere. The closest I found resembled Rococo Gold Stemware.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Any marks anywhere, no matter how small?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It rings like Crystal, definitly gold. Very old
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
double Helix in stem. Gold paint then gold medalions adhered.

How many in the set?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Distant relative swiped six. I am looking to replace. The rest of the settings amounted to 16. I have only 3. I wanted 3 more for my display case.

Ah, I see. These are Venetian Murano glass, and most likely from the 1920s or 1930s. Unfortunately, they are irreplaceable. They are hand blown, and it would be virtually impossible to find matches as each set was relatively unique.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After Grandma passed we realized the relative got her drunk, and came to the house with a moving van. poor lady died of dispare 3 months later. The family is from Germany. Came before Hitler. We are cousins of Ottmar Morgenthaler. The family owned a woodworking/Furnitire/ clock making factory. Ottmar was the inventory of the Morgenthaler Line-o- Type machine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh darn. I have a few things the thief might want. Is there a price that I could judge a swap by?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was thinking the Chrystal may be worth one of these Vases.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I saw one similar Vase on Christie's website for $3,000, but the Gold was worn on theirs. Mine ate perfect, no wear. been in a box for over 70 years, as far as I know.

I'd value the goblets at around $400 - $500 each. So if 13 are missing, then that's $5,200 - $6,500 for the missing items.

Unfortunately, I can't also appraise the vase in this question, because it was priced as one item. I could value it in a second question, if you have a photo of the bottom so I can see the mark.

Jennifer