Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a Hamilton Watch Co gold pocket watch, my husband

Customer Question

I have a Hamilton Watch Co gold pocket watch, my husband bought this in 1964. On the box he has written "Watch made in about 1885 to 1900, bought in 1964 ". I would appreciate any information you can provide.Thank you . CATHERINE CHRISTENSON***@******.***
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 23 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

Do you think you can open up the watch to see the serial number that's on the gears?

Here's a site with some tips on how to open your watch in case you need it:

Also, do you know if your case is gold or gold plated? If you don't know...does it have any marks or words on it?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I will have to take to a jeweler as I have a crippled hand. Thank you for your help and I'll let you know what I find out.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 23 days ago.

Hi Catherine.

I hate to hear that and I'm sorry to cause you any trouble. I wouldn't ask you to go through all the trouble if it wasn't necessary. Records were not kept on the cases themselves as many people would swap out cases over time. The serial number from the gears is the best way to get all the important info and the most accurate value. I appreciate you going to the trouble to take it to a jeweler. I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience.

There's no rush. Your question won't go anywhere, so feel free to take your time.