Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a complete set of Bavaria Tirschlnreuth china. How

Customer Question

I have a complete set of Bavaria Tirschlnreuth china. How much would this be worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom. I also need a photo of the pattern.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

"Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will unpack everything and send you pictures.

Can you just unpack the top layer? I dislike having to ask you to go to all that trouble.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took 3 pictures, how do I send from this site?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind, I think they just sent.

Excellent photos! Thank you.

Do you know how many people the set serves?

Also, do you know how many pieces each person has?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is another picture
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It looks like there is enough for 12 people except for the bowls. I will take a picture of the whole set and send to you because there are a few serving pieces.

That would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any luck with finding out how much this set is worth?

On the 27th you said you were sending a photo of the whole set. I really do not need a photo but what I do really need is:

"Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve? 12?

How many pieces does each person have?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did send a picture of the whole set
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At 8:43pm

A photo came in before your message that you were going to send a photo.

A photo came at 8:43.

Your message came to me at 8:45.

I assumed that the picture at 8:43 was not the whole set.

Now I understand from you that it is the whole set.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should return within 20 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

As you know, the set is by the Porcelain Tirschenreuth factory in Bavaria, Germany. The mark you have was used 1980s-1995. In 1927, this factory became part of the L. Hutchenreuther company.

My research indicates that your set would have an estimated retail value of $850-900 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

HOW TO PACK AND SEND CHINA:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris