Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I purchased some years ago a framed lithograph by F. of

Customer Question

I purchased some years ago a framed lithograph by John F. Lewis of "interior of general life, from the casa di chapi". It is a simple black on cream lithograph, framed and on the back carries a Marshal Field's Label with "Lucans" and no. 3842 and no. 96. Also of interest is a document on the lower back that states "...this lithograph of the Alhambra if from a book presented to the Duke of Wellington of which no other copy has been located to the best of our information. The book has the following title page: Lewis's sketched and drawings of the Alhambra made during a residence in Granada in the year 1833-34." It also mentions it was drawn on stone, the names of the artists including Lewis and the Hodgson, Boys and Graves Print Sellers. Last, but not least, "The following page the book is dedicated: "To the noble Arthur, Duke of Wellington. K.G. These sketches of the Alhambra are most respectfully ***** ***** his Graces's most obliged and obedient humble servant, John F. Lewis"
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 27 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the print,
signature and back of frame where there might be labels or writing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.