Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a Hard Cover book titled: American Archives,

Customer Question

I have a Hard Cover book titled: American Archives, Historical Book Documenting History Vol 1 1776-1783 (covers are detached but otherwise in fine condition). There is a copy of the Declaration of Independence within the bound book printed by Stone (1833). Wish to sell it, but would like to know its value and whether it is better to remove the declaration copy and sell it separately. Thank you for your reply.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the information you see on the title page such as author/editor, publisher and date of publication.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 25 days ago.

Would you like to send a photo of the title page instead?

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It is titled: American Archives, 5th Series, A Documentary History of the United States of AmericaIt is a compilation of letters and printed materials from the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, July 4, 1776 to the DEFINITIVE TREATY OF PEACE WITH GREAT BRITIAN, SEPTEMBER 3, 1783
Published by M. St. CLAIR, CLARKE and PETER FORCE
WASHINGTON, APRIL 1848I hope this helps. Thank You

Yes, it does help.

Thank you for the additional information.

Please allow me time to research this book.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

My research indicates that your book of copies of papers important to the early history of the USA would have an estimated retail value of $300-350 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

See the following site for tips on selling old books.

How to sell books:

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 24 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,