rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a winged back rocking chair that has been in my

Customer Question

I have a winged back rocking chair that has been in my family for ages. I am getting it appraised and want to make sure I don't sell it for too little.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 30 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of any labels or marks that you might find on the underside upholstery or inside the inner slats.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
There are no labels, I have looked all over the chair.
Expert:  rarewares replied 30 days ago.

Thank you for looking. It never hurts to look, a lot of companies marked their furniture

on the undersides or tags give more clues to makers.

This is a 1930 to 1970 wing back upholstered rocker with sausage turned spindles

and looks to made of hard rock maple. Your family history would give you a better idea

as to which decade the chair would be from since this style remained popular into the 1970's.

This is similar to the 1940 era chairs made by Tell City Furniture of Indiana and would be my idea for maker

on this piece, though so many American companies did make a style like this.

That being said, your rocker has a current value of $100 to $125 retail.

Some sites that I recommend are,,,,, Lushpad,, and
You can also go to or and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Expert:  rarewares replied 29 days ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.