Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I purchased a Barbie doll at a garage sale for $1. She has

Customer Question

I purchased a Barbie doll at a garage sale for $1. She has long brown hair that is in a ponytail (no rubber band) but wrapped with part of the hair and slightly curly bangs. Her eyebrows are curved and reddish. Her eyes are blue with black pupils and a white dot next to the pupils. The eyes are lined with thick black eyeliner and a hint of light blue liner above the thick black liner. There are removable pearl earrings and a 3-row wrapped pearl necklace around the neck. The back of the head is marked Mattel 1958. The torso is marked Barbie (copyright symbol C) and then another copyright symbol C in front of 1958-1993 Mattel Inc. Malaysia. There are no holes in the feet; however, her toenails and fingernails are painted red. She is wearing a gown that has a white/silvery bodice, pink skirt with an overlay of pink tulle with white polka dots stamped on the pink tulle. the shoulders of the dress match the pink/polka dot overlay and is sewn to appear frilly. The dress is held together in the back by velcro. Any ideas if this is vintage, partially vintage or a reproduction. The velcro dress has me suspicious.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: did you get my question?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Please send a clear, in-focus close-up of just her face. Also, is the torso solid or hollow and do her legs bend?

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sending 3 photos. Head shot, dress tag that reads Genuine Barbie and full shot of the doll. The torso is solid and the legs do not bend.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you receive my photos and remarks Nora?
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

At your convenience, please send images of the torso and and head marks.

~Nora