Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Kassal print that is not numbered from 1950's and

Customer Question

I have a Mary Kassal print that is not numbered from 1950's and oil on wood vary large depiction of New Your Harbor in the 1850's artist unknown. Can you advise on their value? Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

Let's start with the Kassal. Can you please send more clear, in-focus close-ups of the image and the signature as well as the size.

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nora,
Sorry for the delay. I don't have the print here I can get to it tomorrow. I've attached a larger and I hope clearer photograph. Unfortunately, it was one of the pieces of art I forgot to measure. The print is quite a bit smaller than the frame. My best guess is its about 14" high and about 12" wide. Again, I can measure it tomorrow but I believe I'm reasonably close.
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the image. Approximate size is just fine and I will wait for the additional photos. You can send them over at your convenience, there is not a time limit here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Nora I will get over to the home tomorrow morning. Any cue on the New York Harbor painting.
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

I would really need to see close-ups of that painting as well before I can weigh in on any assessment of it.

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay I'll attempt to get a better shot tomorrow. Thanks again.
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

Great, thank you. ~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nora,
Attached photos I hope will help you to assess the value. thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

Hi John,

I would really need to see more detailed images of the Harbor scene front and back to help assess it and may I please see the Kassal signature on the print.

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are no markings on the back of the harbor painting and I do have a few close up shots depicting about 1/5 each of the painting. The print ( that my mother-in-law indicated was a Kassal) does not have a visible signature and the back is closed. I'll check with my mother-in-law if she is okay with taking it apart.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nora,
I haven't heard back from you in a while. Are you still working on the 3 remaining items (Kassal, Harbor & Black pot)? Thanks John
Expert:  Nora replied 3 months ago.

May I please know how you came to attribute the view to being from the NY Harbor? I will also need a more clear, in-focus image of the signature on the black pottery piece.

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nora,
I apologize for my delayed response. These pieces of art, and many others, belong to my mother and father-in-law who are very. During the past few weeks they have been moving into our home. Thus there has been much chaos and changes of plans. My mother in law has decided to give the black pot to a relative that always admired it and to keep the Kassal print for herself. My mother-in-law said the oil on wood 7' long painting of was purchased a second shop in Great Neck, NY in 1960 and was told by the proprietor that person who brought in said it had been on the wall in his parent's den for as long as he could remember. Unfortunately, that is as much as we know. I fully understand this may not be enough information for you offer an opinion of it's worth. I look forward to your reply and thank you.