Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have some Scrimshaw whales teeth

Customer Question

I have some Scrimshaw whales teeth
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Whale teeth are considered ivory. Whales are on the world Endangered Species list:

Unfortunately, I must tell you that ivory is on the "Endangered Species" list of items banned for sale. I used to sell antique ivory in my former store but it was over 100 years old and I had a license to sell antique items on the endangered list.

The license was issued here in the US by the US Fish and Wildlife Service Agency.

However, the laws have become much more strict lately. You will need to check with the appropriate authorities in your country to see what the current laws are.

Endangered Species List:

That said, some sellers list their scrimshaw ivory whale teeth as "faux ivory whale teeth."

If you find a legal way to sell your whale ivory, the retail value foe small whale teeth would be $150-200; medium, $225-300 and large $300-400 assuming good condition.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 27 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,