Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We have had a large Persian serving tray in our family ever

Customer Question

We have had a large Persian serving tray in our family ever since my wife's dad brought it back from Pakistan in the 1950's. He was a Pan Am pilot for almost 40 years. It is either copper or brass (hard to tell - weathered). It measures 46-1/2" in diameter, and has iron handles.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send a photo of the tray both one of the top and one of the bottom.

I need a close-up of the pattern.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the pattern.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Doris. Here are some pictures. I will send another of the back soon.

Thank you. Please send those of back, too.

I do not see any handles?

These were often meant for wall display. Are you sure the pieces that appear to be handles are not hangers?

Handles are usually made of the same made of the same metal as tray.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Doris - I will have to get back to you later with your answers and additional pcts.! We have to go pick up a horse.
Doug ****

Doug, there is no hurry at this end.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Doris - finally a picture of the rear & handles (4 of them - appear to be iron riveted with brass or copper rivets (?).
--------------------
Doug ****
Sky Ranch
--------------------
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Douglas,

The pictures did not come through at this end.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I try to attach I keep getting this response:"We're sorry – an unknown error occurred. Please try again." I will try again later.

I do not think the system is down.

Yes, try again later.

Kind regards,

Doris

If you continue to have trouble, you can try the much slower email method. It can take 24 hours.

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to *****@******.***

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer

techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is more than frustrating. Following your suggestion above I get this:
***@******.***
8:37 AM (4 minutes ago)to me
This is an SMTP server at asp.reflexion.netYour message could not be delivered to the following address: <*****@******.***>When I try to attach in this thread I always get "We're sorry – an unknown error occurred. Please try again" It obviously worked once - see the 4 pictures above ????????Does anyone in your outfit have a normal email address I can use or is all of this an attempt to get me to shell out another $34 to "talk to you in person"Anger is mounting. If you cannot solve this immediatelyI want a full refund.

I do not accept requests for phone calls. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send you the pop-up.

I do want to help you.

I will contact customer support for you but it would be best if you contact them as well. See the address for customer help and the phone numbers below.

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are just verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

International
Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I received this email from "Zek B" in customer service:
Zek B
3:44 PM (17 hours ago)
to me
Hi Doug,
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
Your question page was reported to our Customer Care team because it appears that you are having trouble in uploading your files in your question page.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you experience any trouble in uploading photos in your question page, you can reply on this email and attach the photos and we will forward the files to your Expert.
Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with and I would be happy to help.
Regards,
Zek B.
Customer Support
JustAnswer is even faster and easier on our exclusive members-only iPhone app! Don’t miss out; download the JustAnswer app today on iTunes and start asking questions on the go.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So as instructed I tried to send these photos to***@******.*** with this result:
***@******.***
9:30 AM (6 minutes ago)
to me
This is an SMTP server at asp.reflexion.net
Your message could not be delivered to the following address:
(Unified Log Code:*********** 0001)
from
to
204.156.179.20 failed after I sent the message. STARTTLS proto=TLSv1; cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA.
Remote host said: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size)
I give up. I am certainly not angry at you Doris, I would love to have you complete this appraisal - I simply cannot get you the pictures (2) to do so. Can you forward this to "Zek B." and see if he has any other ideas? He can also call me on my phone ********. Help please! I continue to communicate with you, with the full knowledge that you are independent of justanswer.com, because there does not seem to be any other means of doing so.

Doug,

I am so sorry you are having trouble with photos.

Again, to email them, you will need to send them to***@******.***

I do not know about the address***@******.***

The best thing for you to do is phone the offices and have them walk you through step by step.

See the various numbers for countries below:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

International
Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

One thought, if your photos are too large, the email service cannot accept them.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Kind regards,

Doris

I researched your question when you first posted it. Let me go back to that research to see if I can answer without further photos.

I'll should return with 30 minutes.

I thank you for your continuing patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Here is what my researched produced -

Your tray dates ca 1920s. It could be Iranian but is definitely Persian. It appears to be tarnished copper - see green discoloring in the engraving. This green/aqua color is typical of old copper.

See the following photo. It is smaller than yours but is scalloped and more highly engraved than yours.

The asking price for the example is $465.

We can take this as a low end of comparables. I found others that were priced higher...

$600-750.

My best estimated retail value range would be $465-750 assuming good condition and depending on geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Trays can be tricky to ship. Usually a wood crate needs to be built. UPS has done this for me in the past. Be sure to charge enough for shipping. You probably should take the tray to the UPS store (or your chosen shipper) to get estimates to various locations where you are advertising.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.