Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a pre Dogon African wooden statue, with metal

Customer Question

I have a pre Dogon African wooden statue, with metal necklace and metal anklets. I bought it from an African Import store in approx. 1988 from the person who went to the region of southern Mali, and said statute of a single male, looking over his shoulder, from a single hard wood limb, was looking back at his ancestors. He was in a burial cave in the cliffs above the village. Believed to be the Bandiagara escarpment. He placed it from the 1200s to the 1400s. Has the narrow, gaunt face, long limbs. The statue is 37 inches tall and at its widest point because of the curve of the statute, encompasses a width of 20 inches. The statute shows the full body of the man, naked. From the Tellem culture/time period. I have photos of the statute that I can submit upon receiving a contact name and email. I want to confirm the general time period and get a valuation. I was shown a picture of a very similar statute that at that point--late 80s was residing in a German museum. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Hi Jim,

You will want to contact Kip McKesson, a leading expert in African art:

PO Box 4943
East Lansing, MI 48823
USA

http://www.kipmckesson.com/contact-us

Tel: +1.***-***-****
US Cell: +1.***-***-****
Tanzania Cell: +255.754.269.106

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora