Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

How can I tell if this painted picture is real, I have a

Customer Question

how can I tell if this painted picture is real
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a still life painting painted on canvas by Bernard Buffet dated in paint and signed in paint 55.It also has a center tag on frame on bottom still life buffet gold tag in graved.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I see brush marks in the picture. This is a pumpkin with a knife in it and a bowl of fruit and fruit on table with a slice of pumpkin .Also a bottle of wine. Very large painting .When you move the picture forward the weight of it moves the canvas . It has 2 small holes lots of dust and something spilled on it. I Have not cleaned it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photos.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
some pics of painting

Thank you for the photos and information.

You state that the painting is large.

Please tell me the size, not including the frame. Please do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is 30 inches wide by 24 1/4 high

Thank you.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should return within 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Another question, please.

The signature matches that of Bernard Buffet but I need an answer to help me validate it as an original.

Certain types of prints are done on canvas. A significant factor in telling if a piece is an actual oil painting is to run your fingers across the piece. If you feel a few small ridges that coincide with the colors used in the figure shapes, then we can say the painting has a good chance of being an original. Tell me what you feel.

Kind regards,

Doris