Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a vase from the Qing Dynasty...I would like to get an

Customer Question

I have a vase from the Qing Dynasty...I would like to get an authentic estimate of it's legitimacy and value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Where do I find one...I tried to Google for one in the Dallas area...I did not have much success.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Where can I get my vase appraised in the Dallas, area.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Qing vase.

I can appraise it right here if you can provide me with some clear photos showing close ups of the decoration in good light and an entire photo of the bottom so I can see the footring.

Alternatively I can recommend someone to take it to in the Dallas area.

Also, how big is it? Height?

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks R.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for responding. I appreciate your expertise.The vase's dimentions: 12"x7"

Thanks for the dimensions a all the photos.

This is a very decorative traditional Chinese ginger jar, with its moths and flowers on a hand-painted cobalt blue ground, the moths arranged to make a pleasing geometric pattern, and encircling peony blossoms or mudan, powerful symbols in the East of wealth, happiness and eternal beauty.

However it's not as old as the marks on the bottom imply, I'm afraid. Looking at various features of the design and particularly the way the mark on the bottom is a printed stamp rather than painted with a brush, the jar dates to the second quarter of the 20th century, 1960s or 1970s.

The mark is an apocryphal Qianlong reign mark (1736 -1795), a stamped seal in traditional Chinese (kaishu) characters that reads (in columns from top to bottom, starting with the right hand column):
大清乾隆年製
or "Da Qing Qian-Long Nian Zhi" which translates as "made in the reign of Emperor Qianlong of the great Qing dynasty".
It was quite typical for 20th century Chinese export porcelain to carry these apocryphal marks and was probably more a homage to past greatness rather than any deliberate intention to pass the work off as something older than it was.
As for value, your ginger jar is not old enough to have attracted any collector premium as yet, so would sell on its decorative and furnishing appeal. It you were to see it for sale in a retail setting, in a vintage store, for instance, it would have a price tag of about $150. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.
Expect to get about 30% to 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on-line.
I do hope this helps and is not too disappointing, but you'd be doubly disappointed if I were to give you false hope it was worth more, if or when you ever came to sell it.
Please let me know if you like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.
Best wishes,
Robert.