Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Its possible I have come across one of the oldest books out

Customer Question

Its possible I have come across one of the oldest books out here for "the book of Common Prayer" If I am correct this one was printed in 17?? (No one published in those days). This book may be quite valuable. The society that had the book printed formed in 1698.THE BOOK OFCOMMON PRAYER, AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE SACRAMENTS, AND OTHER RITES AND CEREMONIES OF THE CHURCH, ACCORDING TO THE USE OF THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND. TOGETHER WITH THE PSALMS OF DAVID, POINTED AS THEY ARE TO BE SUNG OR SAID IN CHURCHES; AND THE FORM OR MANNER OF MAKING, ORDAINING, AND CONSECRATING OF BISHOPS, PRIESTS, AND DEACONS.I hope the photos are enough to determine whether I am on the right track or not. If I am how in devil do we determine a value for this book and should I try Ebay or go through a a good auction house?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please explain this phrase:

"The society that had the book printed formed in 1698."

Kind regards,

Doris

I looked at your photos carefully and now understand what your sentence means.

The Society For Promoting Christian Knowledge was founded in 1698. It is the oldest Anglican mission group. At first the emphasis was on founding Christian schools. It most widely known today as a publisher of Christian books.

Unfortunately, I have some very disappointing news for you.

Please know my family has collected old Anglican Books of Common Prayer and Anglican Bibles for almost 70 years. I inherited a large collection and have added to it. Additionally, our religion is Anglican - Episcopal.

I have had the book experts at the famous Huntington Library in Los Angeles assess a few items in my Anglican book collection. I have had rare book specialists assess some of my collection. All state that there have been many Bibles and Books of Common Prayer printed with each edition. That makes them less rare and less valuable that most other books printed at the same time. Also, these specialists agree that condition is of very significant importance.

The first substantial books printed were German Bibles in the 1450s (Gutenberg Bible).

William Tyndale of England printed the first English language part of the Bible (New Testament) in 1525.

All the Bibles until about the late 18thC/early 19thC were in an old style English print where an "S" looks like an "F."

Your Anglican Book of Common Prayer is in printed in modern English. Again, unfortunately, it was published sometime in the late 19thC or early 20thC.

Also, unfortunately, it is not in good condition.

All these variables taken into consideration, your Anglican Book of Common Prayer would have an estimated retail value of $50-65.

I truly wish I had better news. I hope you understand I have an extensive knowledge in this area.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.