rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an Elgin pocket watch that was purchased in 1894 but

Customer Question

I have an Elgin pocket watch that was purchased in 1894 but I have no idea what it may be worth. I don't know how to open it to find the serial number. All I have is a piece of paper inside saying it was purchased for someone in 1894 for someone's 21st birthday.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

You can use the edge of a blade or pocket knife to get leverage

in the 2 o clock position on the dust cover where there should be a bit of a lip

to get in there any pry open. You will not break it.

Also let me know of what it reads on the inside covers (silverode or sterling/925).

You can add more photos by using the Add Files feature on your screen.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
17 jewels serial number(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also the top doesn't pop open it screws off and the inside pops up when you pull the winder out.

This is a Elgin size 18s open face silverode pocket watch with 17-jewel, grade 144, model 2 swing out movement

made in 1896. The date of purchase might be off by 2 years or the serial number you gave me

might be off by a number. This watch in working condition has a value of $140 to $160, in non-working condition

it is valued at $100 to $125.00.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.