Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

This piece days pv 278 on it. Pottery, I need to find

Customer Question

This piece days pv 278 on it. Pottery, I need to find another one
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi Melissa,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your duck tureen.

Thanks for the photo, I can see what you have.

Could you very kindly attach another photo showing the mark on the bottom.

Also, which size duck you have. They come in a number of sizes, the largest one being about 11" long and 10" tall. The middle sized ducks are 6" long and there's a small 4" one.

Are you looking for another of the same size, or a different size?

Many thanks,

Robert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Robert, the duck is 11" long and 9" tall, I would like the same size.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for confirming the size. The 11" one is the largest model that was made. These duck tureens were produced in Europe in the 1930s and are quite collectible.

The PV mark stands for "Pleasant Village" which was a brand introduced in 1928 by an import company called Mittledorfer Strauss of New York. Peasant Village pottery was made in several countries, including France, Italy, Czechoslovakia and even the U.S. and these old yellowware tureens or 'duck-on-nest' covered bowls where made in France or Italy.

The tureen is more commonly found as a hen- or a quail-on-nest, this duck version is a little bit harder to find, particularly in the larger size.

A similar piece is shown in Lisa McAllister's Yellow Ware Book III (page 89).

The best way to track one down is to set up a Search on eBay and wait for someone to list one. Then eBay will send you an email when they do.

Here's one I've done for you using the key-words:

"PV" "yellow" "duck" "tureen".

All you need to do is click on where it says: +Follow this search and you'll receive an email alert whenever a listing with these words in the title appears.

You can set up as many different searches as you wish. The secret is to not put too many keywords in any one time.

You could also add an additional search using the phrase "Pleasant Village" but you may not get as many hits, as so few sellers know what the PV stands for.

Etsy and Ruby Lane are also good sites to search.

When one does come up, expect to pay in the range of $125 - $175 for it as these are quite prized by collectors.

I do hope this is helpful!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. I was wondering if you know of any places I could list a wanted ad with a pic. I desperately need to find one of these tureens. I would be willing to pay a finder's fee to anyone who can help me find one. Thanks!!
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

I understand.

EBay used to have an "Items Wanted" section but they discontinued it in 2012, probably because it was too easy for the transaction to be transferred off-site causing eBay to miss out on transaction fees.

Craigslist has an items wanted feature, but it's restricted to your local area and so would be a long shot indeed. These tureens don't come along that often.

You could also contact this seller and see if they have the large one for sale.

And maybe this seller has one of the large ones too.

Your surest option is the eBay "saved search" I mentioned. One will come along eventually. Another good keyword combination would be "duck-on-nest", "dish", "yellow".

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wondering how to set up a saved search on eBay, I tried and didn't get anywhere. Thanks!!
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it's a little confusing until you do it a couple of times. Remember to click on "Follow this Search" otherwise you won't get emails from eBay.

Best of luck with finding it!