Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have this cast iron horse drawn fire truck with two guys

Customer Question

I have this cast iron horse drawn fire truck with two guys that sit on it and a ladder. I got this when my grandfather passed away. How can you tell if its worth anything. I don't see any writting on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Mandy,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your horse drawn fire truck.

Is there a wheel under the two horses?

Also, could you very kindly attach a photo of the entire underside of the piece.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a wheel under the horses
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Great! Thanks for the extra photo, that's just what I needed to see.

What you have is one of the 1950s-1960s re-issue of the original cast iron horse drawn firetrucks made by the Hubley Manufacturing Co in Lancaster, PA, in the early 1900s which looked like this. They had twin spoked wheels under the horses (rather than a black plastic one) as well as a number of other small differences.

It's the old ones that are worth the big bucks (sometimes in the thousands), but yours is still a collectible item and it's in great shape with no noticeable loss of paint. If you saw it for sale in an antique store, say, it would would have a full retail value of about $135. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Mandy,

If you're happy I've answered your question about the fire wagon to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate my services with the stars, as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Thanks, R