ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.

I have an old basket with iron hinges and seems to be

Customer Question

I have an old basket with iron hinges and seems to be wrapped in leather or heavy paper. One of The hinges on it locks and unlocks. It has a lid with a pointed top. Looks Asian
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the question! It appears to be a Chinese basket, likely from the early-to-mid 20th century. This may be a rice basket in that these were often coated to avoid moisture from spoiling the rice. This appears to be larger than usual and it is highly decorative. Similar ones sell for $90 to $150 typically through venues like Etsy. A very handsome piece and thank you for sharing it!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought the same but with rice in it I wonder if it would be very heavy to lift. I also have not seen many with the iron latches..

It would likely be heavy, but likely was built for storage rather than transportation. The iron latches would make sense for storage in that it would restrict animals from enterint.

Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 30 days ago.

Good morning! I'm seeing if you had further questions on this item or if I can be of further service. The only way that experts get credit for their answers is when you rate my professionalism. Kindly rate my service so that the question may be closed.