ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.

I have an antique Hampden Dueber wrist watch given to my

Customer Question

I have an antique Hampden Dueber wrist watch given to my aunt in early 1917. The serial number found inside the case is9590249. Also, it says "Molly Stark" on the movement. I question if is gold or gold plated. It has a broken crystal and does not run
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the question! You can date the watch by the serial number (you may have an extra number in there, see: and similar watches are gold plated. Likely if it was gold it would be marked 10K, 14K or 18K as I could not find this exact model in auction databases. In non-working condition the value is likely relatively modest, with other similar watches selling in non-working condition at the $80 to $150 level when accompanied by the original box. If it is actual gold, the value would be more, likely $150 to $250. (Again, the case would be marked).

Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 29 days ago.

Good morning! I'm seeing if you had further questions on this item or if I can be of further service. The only way that experts get credit for their answers is when you rate my professionalism. Kindly rate my service so that the question may be closed.