rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a family heirloom silver tea pot that is engraved

Customer Question

I have a family heirloom silver tea pot that is engraved with the name B. Kelley and the date 1874, it looks like the number 6055 was hand carved on the bottom of the tea pot and then the numbers 137 with a 7 underneath. I am trying to find out any info. I can on the piece.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It looks like the tea pot has a family crest engraved on the front and back as well and it stands up on 4 legs that are pretty long compared to some other teapots I have seen.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the pot and the markings on the bottom.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I attached photos
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did you receive the pictures?

This is an 1870's era silver plated (not sterling) coffee pot in pattern number 137.

The design on the front is part of the pattern with the banner normally left blank for the owner

to have custom engraved.

There is name of the maker on the bottom above the numbers, but the flash blasted out the detail.

Most makers of silver plate at this time were Meriden Britannia and Rogers at the time; no one maker being

worth more than another. This coffee pot has a current value of $125 to $155 retail.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome.

I would really appreciate it if you would click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit. Good feedback is how I am

valued on the site, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.