Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have many 78 rpm records in their original sleeves and

Customer Question

I have many 78 rpm records in their original sleeves and albums that are in mint condition. They belonged to my mother, who took good care of her things. Some of her's include a single, "My Mammy" by Al Jolson on the Decca label, albums "Songs of Our Times 1929", "Spade Cooley plays Billy Hill" on the RCA label, Waltzes played by Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians on the Decca Label, "Twelve Beloved American Songs - Nelson Eddy" on the RCA label. These are just a few examples. I also have 78 rpm records that were mine. Albums with story books of "Bozo Under the Sea" and "Bozo and His Rocket Ship" on the Capital Label, "The Story of the Nativity" Gene Autry on the Columbia label, "Pee Wee the Piccolo" on the RCA label, and "The King Who Couldn't Dance" narrated by Gene Kelly for Columbia records. In addition I have several single 78 rpm's from my own collection. They include Elvis on the RCA label: "Lawdy Miss Clawdy", "Shake, Rattle and Roll", "Hound Dog", "Don't Be Cruel", "I Want you, I Need You, I Love You", "My Baby Left Me", "That's All Right", "Blue Moon of Kentucky", "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone". I also have many 45 rpm's from my 1950's era. How can I find out a fair value and get a fair price for them and not be taken advantage of? I'm 73, need to downsize.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: Guess, I got too detailed and took too long. There is more, but I'll stop here.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Yes, my name is*****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi Lorna,

Local record dealer shops in your area who have been in business for a fair amount of time will be the best market to offer these records to for purchase. Most long-running businesses rely on having a good reputation and that would be tarnished if they took advantage of sellers. It will also be the one place where you can divest the bulk of the collection. If you try selling online, packing and shipping records is rather difficult as they are prone to breakage. You can also get an 'idea' of retail prices for some of the titles by checking on this site:

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.