Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I INHERITED WHAT APPEARS TO BE A WATERCOLOR, INK AND

Customer Question

I INHERITED WHAT APPEARS TO BE A WATERCOLOR, INK AND GRAPHITE BY HAROLD GAZE, SIGNED LOWER RIGHT AND DATED 1930. THE PAINTING IS OF FAIRIES PLAYING IN FLOWERS. IT HAS NOT BEEN EXAMINED OUT OF THE FRAME. IF IT IS AN ORIGINAL, WHAT WOULD IT'S APPROXIMATE WORTH BE
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 8 months ago.

Hi Katherine.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your painting.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the signature.

Also how big is the artwork (not including the frame or mat).

Many thanks,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks Robert.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure how good these pictures are. The signature is on the bottom right corner.
The size is 9 1/2 x 12 is the visible size only. I wait for a response from you. Thanks Kathy
Expert:  Robert S. replied 7 months ago.

Hi Katherine,

Just letting you know I got the photos. What a wonderful painting!

I should have a full answer and a value for you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Katherine,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Life unexpectedly intervened, but I'm back now and I can give your delightful painting my full and prompt attention.

Let's assume this is an original rather than a print. Without taking it out of its frame it's going to be hard to know for sure, but I can see nothing about it from the photos that would indicate it was anything other than an original.

What a a delightful composition! The more one looks at it the more little people appear in the sweet pea flowers. I count at least six and seven if you include the caterpillar. There's also a mysterious profile of a face lower right, and I'm sure you've seen much more.

Fairies riding soap bubbles and hiding among petals, and hidden faces are all so typical of Harold Gaze's work. He was a prolific illustrator and author with at least seven titles to his name.

Harold Gaze (1884 - 1963) was born in New Zealand and studied in London around 1914. After the first world war he lived in Melbourne, Australia where he illustrated his first book. In 1920 he returned to London to continue his career and then moved permanently to southern California in the early 1920s. While a resident of Pasadena, he was the author-illustrator of several children's books and worked for Disney Studios for many years. In about 1959 he returned to England for the last years of his life and died in 1963.

So looking at comparables in the sales record, this example, of the same size, subject matter and date (1929) sold at auction for $2750 which I would say is about right for this artist, who does seem to have a keen but limited following of collectors.

If you were to sell yours at a good antique auction house, it would fetch in the range of $2000 - $3000.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an retail art gallery, say) of $6000. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Katherine,

I hope all is okay. I assume you must be having computer problems since I haven’t heard from you, however, if you are able to receive this, could you kindly take a moment to rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,

Robert.