ObjectsConservator1
ObjectsConservator1, Restorer
Experience:  30+ years of conserving and restoring museum and private-owned objects.
75944346

What can you tell me about this sword

Customer Question

What can you tell me about this sword
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Please send more clear, in-focus images of the sword and close-ups of any details or marks at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here they are I think it is chinese
Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the images. I will opt-out and if another expert knows the answer they will respond to you here on this discussion board.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this all I get for 38 dollars
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello anybody in there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello anybody got a answer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ObjectsConservator1 replied 1 month ago.

I'm happy to answer your question on-line, but I do not offer phone services. My specialty is conservation/preservation and materials identification.

You have a typical Chinese sword known as a "Jian". This type of sword, with its straight, double-edged blade, was the weapon of choice for Chinese swordsman to demonstrate their skills. It was also worn by high officials and officers as part of their ceremonial uniforms. The central ridge and engraved characters near the hilt are very characteristic of the jian swords. The decoration of your sword and scabbard, which is relatively plain, would put it in the 19th or early 20th centuries.

New jians go for $200-$300 dollars. I would suggest that you have this one professionally appraised by a licensed appraiser who actually looks at it, rather than just on-line, to be sure of the value, especially if you want to get it insured.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.