Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Antique silver teaspoons with Brokaw & Hendry on the back

Customer Question

antique silver teaspoons with Brokaw & Hendry on the back plus four symbols one of which is a star and one is a dove, I think.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: They were given to me by my God Mother in 1949 and I think they may be of Civil War era.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Plain design, I think Paul Revere design and they are very thin and fine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are two views of back of spoon
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When will I get an answer?

Good answers here are not instantaneous. Research must be done.

I thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Please tell me the initials in the trapezoid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the bottom one is an S and the top a B, H or K
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or A
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In other words AS

Thank you. I am a silver specialist. I cannot locate Brokaw and Hendry among Canadian or American silversmiths or jewelers in any of my over 100 silver books.

Please give me more time.

Thank you for the additional information.

My best,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wait. Maybe they are from England or Germany. I have no idea
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
By the way, I have 6 of them

Not England but could be out of North America.

I do not want to mislead you. I could not locate your exact series of marks after an extensive search. I know from experience that there are many American and Canadian coin silversmiths that used a bird or a star or both in their marks. There are also many unlisted American and Canadian coin silversmiths and retailers during the 18th and 19thC up until about 1870s. Very, very little is written about the Canadian silversmiths of this period.

There was a prominent silversmith based in Montreal from 1837-1895. named Robert Hendry. I believe he is most likely the one on your spoons. In all my searching, I did not locate a Brokaw silversmith or retailer of silver.

It is reasonable to assume your coin silver spoons were made by a Canadian firm ca 1850-1870s.

The set of spoons would have an estimated retail value of $225-250 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

These spoons would be worth more, perhaps $300, if the maker was famous.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For Doris only- I am not looking to sell them but rather give them to a relative interested in history. It looks like there is none found for these exquisite spoons which polish beautifully . What do you mean by "depending on sale geographic location." I lived in tennessee at the time I received them but am in Texas now for over 50 years.

I live in Tennessee. I used Ben Caldwell's book on Tennessee coin silversmiths in researching these spoons. Brokaw & Hendry were not Tennessee silversmiths. Ben was a customer of mine when I had my store.

As for "sale geographic location" - items tend to sell better in large cities than they do in smaller cities. Still, in southern larger cities, silver is more collectible than most Eastern or Western cities.

I stand by my assessment of the history of your pieces as Canadian coin silver made ca 1950-1870s. I have been collecting, selling and appraising silver since 1957.

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Kind regards,