Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an old violin and would love to get history and

Customer Question

I have an old violin and would love to get history and approximately what it is worth. Who would I go to for this information. Thank you Jennifer
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

There should be a paper label inside the violin that you can see through the S form openings - what does it say? Also, check the ends of the bow to see if there is a stamped mark and send a photo of the curled end of the violin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing on inside but my mothers initials. This was her mothers violin and at one time she attempted to get it apprised and her I initials were placed inside.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for checking. Please check the bow for marks and send a side view photo of the 'curl' at the end of the violin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure did you get my last message to you.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the images. There does appear to be a impression stamped maker mark on the bow on the end with the ebony piece and right before the leather bit around the bow stem. Can you read it or send a more clear, in-focus image of that area.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think you are speaking of the scratches possibly. I do hope this is clearer for you. I do not see any markings on the bow at all.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

I will opt out here and open your question again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here.

I hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Nora