rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

What value is my Etching of the Lord on his horse? A very

Customer Question

What value is my Etching of the Lord Nelson on his horse? A very old piece from 1800. Artist name B Rivière then in pencil it says "Etched by C A Murray R S" Also in pencil is written " issued April 28, 1898 by the art Union of London 112 Strands copyright registered"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 months ago.

This is an etching from a painting by Briton Riviere (1840-1920)

titled In Manus Tuas, Domine.

The piece shows a knight on horseback in a thick forest, approaching a dark passage sloping downwards on the left; the knight raises his sword in front of him, looking at the cross formed by the hilt, while the horse and three dogs with him cower in fear; after Rivière.
Etching printed with heavy surface inking on chine collé

The painting was created in 1879, so the etching would date

to a bit after that, as was common, the date of 1898 being the publish date on this piece.

The engraver was C O Murray.

This etching has a current value of $50USD to $75.00USD retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.