Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Is my lamp worth anything my husband bought at auction over

Customer Question

Is my lamp worth anything my husband bought at auction over twenty years ago all brass and he put electric wire thank you would like to send a picture
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

You mention all brass but the lamp in the picture does not look brass. Have you tried to polish it?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with brass cleaner but it doesn't look a brass color to me I was going by what my husband told me he past away 18 years ago the lamp is pretty heavy I could take more pictures if needed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I sent some extra pics maybe you can see it better thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture of the bottom
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long will it take for an answer thank you I wasn't sure if you were busy with other callers

It is an old Victorian candlestick but it does not look to be brass in the pictures. It might have been brass plated at one point.

It originally dates ca1880.

It would have an estimated retail value of $80-110 assuming good electrical condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.