Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have several very old Drew books. The one I would like to

Customer Question

I have several very old Nancy Drew books. The one I would like to determine the value for is The Hidden Staircase. It is copyrighted 1930, with glossy illustrations by Russell H. Tandy. The cover is plain with with no impression, bearing the title and author, Carolyn Keene only. I researched this briefly on e-bay without much success. Is there a way I can find out what I should sell it for. I'm now 73 and there is no one to leave these items to. I decided to start with just the one book for now. It is the only one I have with the plain cover and my research leads me to believe it has more value. It's condition I would say is fair to good with some tearing on the binding.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome, Claudia! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I researched your book before I decided to answer.

A 1930, Grossett & Dunlap copy of The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene would have an estimated retail value of $1500-1700 assuming some condition issues and depending on sale location.

If it were in top condition with a good dust jacket, it would be worth much more. I have been told by book dealers that condition has a great deal to do with the value of an old book.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

I am only credited for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.