Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I bought a brass item. It is a dog sitting on a

Customer Question

I bought a brass item. It is a dog sitting on a teardrop-shaped pedestal that contains 4 ball bearings. Its head screws off. It is about 3 inches high, 4 inches long and 2.25 inches at its widest width. The base is perforated with triangles and trapezoid shapes. There are no obvious markings, but some tool marks. It does not look to be mass-machine made. One appraiser told me it was a baby rattle, but a kid could kill himself with this thing! Maybe a paperweight or inkwell?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Please send an image of the underside at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if this is clear enough. The bottom is crosshatched, but somewhat irregularly.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the image. And to clarify, you mention there are ball bearings - they are inside the pierced cut teardrop? Does it make a noise like a bell or chime if you move the piece around?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just a rattle - nothing melodic. They are fused into the base. No obvious way to get them in or out.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for checking Joan.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,

I have not found a match to this for you.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. please allow me to do research and post my evaluation back this evening. I have seen pieces like this before I would like to be thorough and post back when completed. Thank you for the photos they are perfect and the size. I look forward to helping you.