rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Re your recent email regarding the lion, this dish has a

Customer Question

Re your recent email regarding the lion mark, this dish has a crown above the word ALPHA, not sure which mark you mean will indicate Silver or Plated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

y name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not been able to go to any of your replies other than your original telling me that the dish was sterling silver and 92.5% and your following casting doubt on this, as I said in my last email the dish has a crown above the word ALPHA below that the markings HB&H with the number 1531 below. I am not sure from your further comment regarding the lion marking whether we have a silver dish or a plated one. Could you reply directly to my email address please as I cannot pick your replies on your website.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

Without photos, I can tell you that this dish is not sterling silver. I think maybe you were working with another expert and

they may have opted out of the question because this is the first I have gotten these details from you.

The HB & H is the maker Harrison Brothers and Howson of Sheffield, England and this is pattern number 1531. The word ALPHA

with the crown above is their trade name for ALPHA PLATE, which is in every case silver plate and not sterling. The dish dates to the late 1800's

to early 1900's and has a value of 25GBP.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit submit, thanks!

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.