Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

We have given my wife's father's naval sword to our

Customer Question

We have given my wife's father's naval sword to our grandson. He was Vice Admiral John A. Tyree Jr. He graduated from the academy in 1933. Did 7 patrols on the finback as captain. Then spent about 2 years at the whit house as a asst. naval aid for Roosevelt and Truman. He attended the Yalta and Potsdam conferences. He planned Roosevelt's funeral. He also was the Admiral who blockade the southern side of Cuba. He retired as the Inspector General of the Naval Inspector General's Office. He received the navy cross plus a gold star in lieu of a 2nd. navy cross, a distinguished service medal and a silver star.The sword is in excellent shape. It has the scabbard and carry case. The bullion ribbon we believe it to be gold. The sword is stamped Germany. His name is ***** ***** the blade. What should we insure it for? Thank you for your help. Herb ****** (Johanne ***** ******'* Husband. ***-***-**** **********@*****.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

The suggested insurance or replacement value for your vintage American naval sword with historical importance due to the rank and career of the original owner is $14,000.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora